Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Erroneous Use of Hebrews 10:25

I've been wanting to write about this scripture for a while since I've left the crack epidemic called "church." Since I've been in the "detox program",  I've ran into many people who've heard our story and the first thing they say to me is, "You should come to my church. I think you'll really like it. You know what the Bible says in Hebrews, 'Forsake not the assembly..." I've heard this, in a percentage rate, of 95.7% of my conversations with people who are obviously suffering from CTSD (Church Traumatic Stress Disorder). For some of us who don't know what Hebrews 10:25 says, let me help you:

"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another:and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."

Of course, a lot of these people forget what Hebrews 10:23-24 and Matthew 18:20 (the words of Jesus by the way) say but that's neither here or there. Throughout the 20th and 21st century (thanks to the Azuza Street Revival that unleashed the plague of religion), people have used this scripture to "guilt" people from missing church or to attend church if they are "fellowshipping with the Lord" on their own (i.e. - at home reading the Bible, etc.). When people use this scripture as they talk to me (not with me), the mind frame they are coming from is that their pastor "has what I need." I know, I used to the same thing to others. They believe the "level of the their pastor's anointing" will free me from whatever I'm going through and what I'm thinking. They believe "fellowshipping with saints" is restricted to coming to a church building "whenever the doors of the church are open." They believe that people should be an open book (i.e.-accountable to "leadership), in various parts for their life. People live others who are not attending church aren't growing in God or if they are doing things in "ministry" that they are moving "illegally in the spirit" without a "covering (a pastor)." It's funny how people are so seduced by these points and many more I can't put in one blog. These points I've mentioned and more are just regurgitated bull---- statements made by people throughout the ages to keep people locked up in the penitentiary of religion (which people call a part of the grace of God). Let me tell you people what Paul meant when he wrote Hebrews 10:25. He was referring to Matthew 18:20. He was referring to Proverbs 18:24. The relationships between David and Jonathan, Abraham and Sarah, Ruth and Naomi, Peter and Silas, and the list goes on. Did any of these people gather in a building all the time to hear the middle man give them a word? Or to be encouraged? Or to worship God? Even with the worship of God, do we have to go to certain place to meet God and to hear him speak to us? If that's the truth, then why in the hell did Jesus die for to "break down the middle wall of partition between us and God (Ephesians 2:14/Matthew 27:51)?" I recently read Ja Rule's new book "Unruly" and in one of the chapters about his mother, he notes seeing how to this very day how his mother won't attend church. You want to know why? Why should we have to go to church to hear the middle man (the pastor) give you a word when you can open up your Bible and get one for yourself.... Some of these people (I think most of 'em) are lazy and go to church for their weekly fixes of word and worship that have nothing to do with how we should live our daily lives (notice how much of these powerful words from God are always about the spiritual realm instead of how to treat your fellow man). Here's my take on Hebrews 10:25, especially to you folks who keep quoting that scripture incorrectly. It's about maintaining relationships with people who believe in the same God as you do. Not always agreeing with each other (for it's common for people in God reality to agree to disagree) but helping each other stay on the "right path" in this thing we call life. So, when the next person tells me I "need to come to their church" and uses Hebrews 10:25 to "guilt me into going back to church", I'm just going to say hell no. Keep your church. To all those who are taking this approach on people who don't go to church, let me give you something, matter of fact someone better to reference them to instead of referencing them to church, Jesus.

Well, that's going to piss some people. Good.

Til next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment