Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Truth About Entitlement

Entitlement is a big issue happening with our younger generation (or today's generation in general). They're loaded with all the gadgets, cars, and quality lifestyle they can ever think of (that's what I see here in Central Texas). When I was a teen, most of the kids I knew had to work for what they wanted; very few were "privileged." Most of the kids I knew who worked were hustlers, saving their money, and in some cases, had to help their parents out with the bills. I on the other hand was a spoiled rotten kid that had to join the Army to break my thoughts of being "entitled." I would have a job and screw it off. I didn't save a dime. Hell, I didn't have any aspirations in life. My dad would get on me but I always bucked against him. Almost 20 years later, my thoughts and feelings of entitlement are mostly gone (my wife spoils me sometimes...☺️). But now, as I go to local malls, I see kids these days from toddlers, to preteens, teenagers, and young adults, throwing tantrums, hissy fits, and disrespectful gestures when they can't get what they want. This generation, some call it Generation Y, feel they are entitled when the new iPhone or smartphone comes out. They're entitled to shopping sprees every time their parents get paid. They feel entitled to hang out all night and do whatever because they're "passing school." Some of them believe their parents are supposed to give them what they want when they're doing good at school. However, many of these kids in my area don't know the value of hard work and dedication (most of the kids are military kids....). There are some going above and beyond right now to make their mark and to set for themselves pathways of success. They understand that entitlement cannot come without the blood, sweat, and tears of hard work. To be entitled, you have to earn it. The same goes for a lot of us adults, too, thinking that prayer, knowing somebody who knows somebody, and "getting by" will grant us entitlements of success. That's bull---- and we're carrying that some bull---- into the lives of the next generation. We have to work for what we want. Can veterans use their GI Bill without serving a certain period of honorable service in the military? Can a person attain a college degree without completing a certain amount of hours? Can a person become a successful manger at a job without developing the necessary leadership qualities? Can a person get a weekly paycheck without coming to work? You should know the answer. I'm trying to bury that little teenaged spoiled boy everyday to becoming a hard working man for the sake of my family. Putting money away that I can't touch. Developing other skills outside of my first line of income. Hell, getting an increase for my VA compensation benefits. All of this requires work. I'm not "there" yet but I'm working with the cards I've been dealt rather than waiting for a miracle to fall from heaven to make life easier for me. Each time we run into these young whipper snappers, we need to drop some gems on them about how entitlement really works. It requires work. Hard work and dedication.

Til next time, Mr. "Still on Leave Until Next Tuesday Overton....

No comments:

Post a Comment