Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Don't Be Perfect, Be You

For the past couple of months, I've been going through a deprogramming or detox period from religion, from my perspective, Christianity. I've always had problems with church, religion, even with the Nation of Islam of some of its racist antics (if you live in the "Piedmont" area of N.C., you know what I'm talking about). I just could never see why people gave themselves the right to judge others in the lifestyles they chose without seeing why, when, how, and why. There are others things that I can go on tangents on but we don't have all day for that, do we? One of things that I'm deprogramming from is the "perfection" complex. In my ten plus years in the religious world, I've the following cliches:

- "Mark the perfect man" (which actually comes from the Bible but is primarily twisted)
- "Fake it 'til you make it"
- You have dominion over the place you are in your life
- Being broke or wallowing in your emotions is a sin
-The emotions or sins you do are caused by "a spirit"

All this is BULLS---......

Can I get a witness for those who've heard this or seen this?

I've learned that we were not born perfect and as long as we live on planet earth, we will never be perfect. I think people use the word "perfect", which is actually listed in the Bible, in the wrong context. Men like Luke, Mark, Peter, and Paul didn't say, you have to live a sinless life. Or you must be spotless and without wrinkle (which is a passage used out of context). What these men meant was for humans to mature as life goes on. Our mind and the way we see things should always change due to an ever-changing world. And yes, to achieve this, we have to make mistakes in life. We will screw some people, even our friends and loved ones over from time to time (hopefully unintentionally). Some mistakes cost us money, time, and relationships but look at the experiences and lessons we pick up along the way. Hell, Jesus Himself, God in the flesh, didn't have a perfect life, He lived a sinless life (I know I've started a debate right there but it's the truth). Obama in all of his accomplishments is a man he himself said in his speech before starting his first term said, "I'm a just a man, I'm going to make mistakes" (I hope you heard me clear black people, how soon did we forget, very quick). George Wallace had a change of heart after a traumatic incident and admitted his views on race was "flawed." Do you get the point I'm trying to make? We are fallible, flawed, in many way, weak human beings. We are not God. Let me say it again for some of religious, narcissistic, self-reliant, rich/poor, or snooty mo-fos. We are not God. He alone is perfect, we are and will forever be imperfect. I'm sort of happy that I'm not perfect. I'm starting to relish in my weaknesses, flaws, excuses, and shortcomings I'm glad that I'm a human being, that I'm me. Why should I render my emotions to a shell to make myself look perfect? To never check somebody else when they need to be checked? When I'm feeling giddy about something that's awesome? That's stupid. God made me to have emotions, to be angry, to be sad, to be depressed, to be forgiven, to be happy, to tell weird jokes,  to be thoughtful of others. He doesn't want me to be perfect and neither does He want you to be perfect. Now, don't take my words as gold because I'm just a man, I'm just entitled to my opinion. Be you, the angel or demon that you are (it's up to you). Always look for times to mature, to become a better person, to be a solution into our society that is full of problems. The only way to do that or be that solution is to be you, with your imperfect self. Love yourself and all your flaws. In someone else's life, you might show strength and help them along away. I believe that's how God intended life to be.

Til next time, my friends......

No comments:

Post a Comment