Saturday, March 1, 2014

Stop Being Indecisive

I remember when I was in training for my current job in December 2012, my good friend Jonathan Edwards (wassup homie!) came to visit me and we had a really good conversation. After we finished shopping in one of the malls in B-more (Baltimore), he stopped and said this, "David, you're indecisive." I looked at him with a blank look and he broke it down to me Barney style, "You can't make up your mind about anything." For about two days, we would walk around looking for places to shop or eat and I couldn't make up my mind about anything. With his mouth, he was like cool but his body language told an entirely different story. In hindsight, my best friend told me the truth. After knowing this guy who I met in Mount Holly, New Jersey (out of nowhere) for 7 years at the time, I literally became an indecisive individual. I couldn't make up my mind about nothing. I just couldn't. I would say I would do something, just about anything, and moments later would question my decision. Then he began to break down why. The why answers he shared with me was that I allowed a lot of situations and people's perceptions of what my life should be in their eyes hinder my decisiveness (the ability to make a decision and go with it). Within the time we've known each other, I was sort of "indoctrinated" to "walk by faith" but still lived in fear (of what others would think or for their approval, fear of failure, actions to taint my image in society). The way I was brought up, the "gut mechanism" was my best friend and sometimes worst enemy. However, I would make a decision and that was it, I'm gone. But through a long period of indoctrination of a "religious" and wacky system, I allowed my gut to become thought of as what was taught, "nothing but the devil" or my "heart above all is wicked"(which is true but when God is in it, what can man say to you?). He said a couple of other things that I didn't like but accepted as truth because it was. I allowed myself to get caught up in a train of thought that was holding my life up, sort of like a mental prison facility (now I refer to as Alcatraz). One year and a couple of months later, my decisiveness is back, baby. Before some recent "conversations" (which I will share certain concepts with you all next week so hold tight!), I broke the back of the backlog of my indecisiveness. I threw away different indoctrinations, advice, and literally crap that was disallowing me a full night's rest for almost a half a week. I said, I'm going to do this no matter what people think about me, my decision making, or what the outcome will be. Not only did I make the decision to confront some things (and people) in my past before my transition into newness, I went through with it. I picked up the phone and did what I felt necessary to do and boom, things in my life are now flowing freely like a river. The result of being a decisive person is making a decision and going through with it despite what other people and situations are saying to you. The best example I can only give us is Jesus. Whatever he thought to do, he did it, no matter what those stupid Pharisees or at times inept disciples would say or think about him. Like at Mr. Tibbs (my old school crew know who I'm talking about), he saw things or people that needed to get corrected and he did so. These and many more people in life are examples of decisive people, people who make decisions quickly, accurately, and with confidence. As Jonathan said to me in B-more is what I tell you all to do; that is to stop being indecisive. Make up your mind. If you know something or someone is not good for you, make the decision and go through with it. If you need to make a decision or do something that's going to benefit you, why wait? Do it! I believe we use "prayer" as a mechanism to mask our fears of making decisions. But if God puts it in your heart to do it, maybe he's letting you know that this is the right time. Of course people around you are going to question you but who are they? Are they God? This may cause a rift between you and them. Cool. Okay, some people that's in your life may not want to be around you and will talk about you. Heck, I got some folks talking about me and my wife right now. But one thing they can say about us, we stopped being indecisive. We're no longer living in a bubble of fear and doom. We make decisions now and we go with it. And the greatest part of all, decisiveness gives you the strength and freedom not to care what other people are thinking or saying about you. You basically through the hand up like Ms. Ceily did to Mister in "The Color Purple." There are so many blessings in being decisive.

I hope this advice helps you all, like it helped me, my friends.


Til Next Time, dgwo81....

1 comment:

  1. In this period of shift and change, and of the excitement of the new season, don’t forget who I have made you to be and what I have called you to. Guard against being disconnected and isolated from the body of Christ, outside where you would become the prey and target of wolves.

    This is the time to be even more connected with the body, with all of your gifts, with all of your abilities and your calling. That my body will be nourished, would grow and become more effective in this world! I will make room for you.

    Ephesians 4:14-16
    As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.

    ReplyDelete