Friday, July 13, 2012

Why Are We Drawn To Mess?

My beautiful wife Dionn and I had a discussion this morning. As I was rushing to get a good parking space at my job, she woke up and started sharing her heart with me about her business. I stood there ironing my clothes listening. She has a lot of potential and one of the most versatile cosmetologists if not one of the best in our area. However, I see what she goes through as with any great cosmetologists in our area, a lack of support. Where I'm living now, it seems like the best of the best (in work and character) are always at the back burner. Food chains, clothing stores, churches, teachers, musicians, political figures, veterans, and the list goes on. They provide the best of quality in their service but get little to no support. However, people and businesses who are greedy and provide mediocre to just straight jacked up services are the ones people fall head over heels for. As my wife was talking, I got a bit perplexed in my mind. Then I said asked these words, "Why Are We Drawn To Mess?" Why do we always look for the best in mess? I don't understand it. It's like we're putting on the appearance of royalty but underneath the purple robes, we smell like gutter trash from the ghetto. Why are our minds so linked to things and people sent out to drag us down into a ditch? I just don't get it, friends. We'd rather support people who sing, rap, perform, politic, and whatever else leading us to tormented places but in appearance "appealing." We'd rather stick with what's not working for the sake of comfort than stick to something that's got a long term benefit but gives short term reality check. Even in the area where I live, people always want something for nothing. They want people with high standards to lower them to make them feel "comfortable" and stay in the mindset they've been in since 1975. I see a lot of people with promising businesses, ministries, and whatever else go down the tank because they weren't supported. I see people with a voice to raise concerns of what's going on get "crucified" while club promoters get a voice to build another strip club with innumerable support. I see God's goodness always getting the shank while the masses cling to what's going to be their downfall. I think this has captivated the majority of American society and it's a dog-on shame. Why are we drawn to mess? Look at the next generation and look at what we're feeding them. It makes the heart sick and sho-nuff makes God shake His head in disappointment. It's just like the trial Pontius Pilate had before the people of Jerusalem. People knew the revolutionary power of Jesus, the man who was on a 3 and a half business trip that gave nothing less but God's best. He healed the sick, raised the dead, gave hope to the hopeless, and made the disenfranchised become a part of an eternal plan with no limits. But another man by the name of Barrabas was known by the people as a stone cold-blooded killer. He plundered the pockets of many, maybe raped a couple of women, manipulated people to get his way, and killed people who knew his game. But you want to know what the majority of Jerusalem chose in that particular moment? They chose the problem, the mediocre, the greedy, the rapist (of profits & destiny), the manipulator, the hireling, the thing that doesn't work. Then we say to the solution, crucify him or her! WOW. As my 9th grade teacher told me back in '95, "if we don't know our history, we're bound to repeat." Can I get an Amen (an agreement on what I'm saying thus far)? I'll tell you why we're drawn to mess. Whatever is appealing to our flesh or to our modes of comforts without the existence of resistance to cause a change, that's what we draw to. It's easy, it's convenient, it's available, and it's cheap. However, the price in the long run is terrible. My wife has been in the cosmetology business for almost 6 years and she's seen a lot in our area. People will run to the lowered prices but forget they're going to get lower quality of service. However, people complain about prices but fail to realize the quality of service their going to receive is the best (just using her as an example). So it is with the Solution (Jesus) and the problem (Satan/us). To get high results, we've got to put our all in Jesus. Higher fulfillment, higher purpose. But we put our all in Satan and men and we get messed up all the time. So after reading this, will we still draw ourselves to mess or to what is unarguably the best? You do the math...dgwo

Reference:
Mark 15:6-16

1 comment:

  1. You are so right, I often think about that...I think people are drawn to mess because mess is in them. And then you have the people that create mess and drama and then try to fix the mess they created...we know righteousness and excellence is only birthed through relationship with Jesus Christ and unfortunately majority doesn't have it--that's a fact. We need to start a revolution....

    ReplyDelete