Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Laughter Is Good For The Soul

It's the last day of July, the second hottest month of the year. Thank God it's about over. This was a pretty difficult month but one thing I can say is that last night, I laughed like the jokers used to laugh on Def Comedy Jam (when Martin Lawrence was the host, no offense to Joe Torry). The brothers got together last night to help one of the couples at our church move to their new "mansion." We were bagging on each other the whole night. I was clowning Mr. Rowland because he let his wife Mrs. Rowland pack all the boxes except one I helped him pack. My other friend Mr. Williams was clowning Mr. Rowland for carrying a light box full of tissues like it was heavy. Mr. McCallum was clowning me for how I can't sing when really he's worse than I am (I'm just saying). Mr. Williams was clowning Mrs. Rowland's brother Mr. Baptiste because everyone else was loading the truck while he was stuck in happy land looking at photos he hasn't seen in years. Dude, we clowned on each other for like 3 straight hours. It was a good night. While I was driving home, I was thinking the wonderful gift of laughter. We take this gift of God for granted. Solomon said in Proverbs 17:22 that a merry heart (that includes laughter) is like a good medicine. Laughter relieves stress. It helps us let go the cares and problems of the day. It helps us forget our worries of future events. The tension that's in our bodies is gone and we feel lighter than we did before. My beautiful wife Dionn is always showing me these videos by the Playmakers (http://www.youtube.com/user/thePlaymakers1), Phil Wade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hFoTamYzuY), and Sweet Brown videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udS-OcNtSWo). Man, I just cry up a storm because those videos are so funny. Sometimes, I get so frustrated and stressed about certain things in my life, I don't enjoy it. Then, something funny happens and I just laugh. I laugh my little heart. Those tears of pain become tears of joy when I laugh. It's such a good release for the body, soul, and spirit. Research shows that it provides us three benefits (materials from HelpGuide.org):

1.Physical benefits: relaxes muscles, boosts immunity, decreases pain
2. Mental benefits: relieves stress, improves mood, eases anxiety and fear
3. Social benefits: improves relationships, enhances teamwork, helps diffuse conflicts


The spiritual benefits are the following:
1. trusting God in tight situations and believing He will help us in times of need
2. releases the burdens of oppression, frustration, bitterness, and stress
3. helps us appreciate God, friends, family, and even our enemies


I experienced all this last night and of course when I'm chilling at the house with my cupcake, Dionn. Most of us think that God is always serious. Yes, He can be but He has a crazy sense of humor. The next time you're going through something or notice something strange (that's funny of course), you'll see that's an indicator of His great humor. Sarah knew about it when He said she would have a child when she was passed 90 something years old. David wrote about it because he had to laugh so many times when he went through. Shoot, the Bible says God rejoices over His people when their ways please Him (Isaiah 62:5). You want to know what that includes? Laughter. We make God laugh all the time. Like the old saying goes, "you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." He's probably falling over His throne 24/7 days in the week at us crazy jokers. My friends, preachers, lawyers, doctors, atheists, politicians, law enforcers, kids, parents, husbands, and wives, you better learn how to laugh. It's God's gift to us, a stress relieving, burden lifting experience given to mankind in the midst of his most arduous labor called life. Plus for some of us who are so knowledgeable, educated, and spiritual, we need to learn how to loosen up. Dude, chick, relax. Chill. Take a breather. "Saddown (Madea voice)." Some of us are just too serious. We need to loosen up and enjoy life through the gift of laughter.  Aiight?! Go on YouTube (JackValeFilms my favorite), go to the movies, talk with your friends and family about events of funny moments. Shoot, go to Walmart, you'll always see interesting things and people there that'll make you laugh. You'll feel better and life in general will get better. And this will make God laugh because we've learned to rightly use this wonderful gift.

Til next time, dgwo.

P.S. - To Mr. Carl Rowland - I told you I was going to get you back. :)

Reference:

-Proverbs 17:22
-HelpGuide.org - http://www.helpguide.org/life/humor_laughter_health.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment