Monday, July 2, 2012

Adjustments 101

Most of the time when I talk to one of my best friends Jonathan Edwards, I talk to him about getting my life balanced (in order, organized). I always tell him, "my life long goal is to gain balance in life." To this day, this is probably one of my top three pursuits. I won't lie, this journey seems to get harder with each step I take. So, what is balance? Here is what Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the word balance:
balance - the means of power to decide, a state of bodily equilibrium (a condition in which all acting influences are canceled by others, resulting in a stable, balanced, or unchanging system), emotional stability, a harmonious or satisfying arrangement of parts or elements, a force or influence tending to produce equilibrium, the difference in magnitude between opposing forces or influences.

Balance is what we need right now in the emotional, psychological, financial, spiritual, mental, familial, and physical aspects of our lives. We're living in times of chaos and confusion. Many of us (including myself) don't know if we're coming or going. Our personal lives are in disarray but we mask them with our poker face. We know the grace of God abounds more over any sin or mistakes we make in our lives (Romans 5:20). Today, I beg to differ because we can no longer make excuses for why we're not balancing our lives the way we should. Making excuses is along the lines of taking His grace for granted (Galatians 2:21). We don't want to that. Balancing our lives brings so much joy into our lives and in the end makes everything run smoother. So how do we get to the place? First, it takes commitment, dedication, and a willingness to change. This is what adjustment is all about and it starts with the mind. Think about it. Once our minds are made up, we need to look at our priority list. This is what I've learned through my epic failures in just about every area of my life:

1. God
2. yourself 
3. family/relationships
3. organization (church, job, volunteer missions, etc.)

But let me tell you what most of our priority list looks like:

1. money
2. money, people, places, and things
3. ourselves (our ambitions, what we want when we want them)
4. relationships
5. more money

As you can tell, God ain't even on our list, is He? Hmmm... King David speaks of God's priority list and do you want to know who's 1st on it? The answer is _____ (you fill in the blank)

I'll quote the words of David from Psalms 8:4:

"What is man, that thou art mindful of himand the son of man, that thou visitest him?"

We are His first priority because He seeks to be everything we need; most important yearning for a close relationship with us. However, we don't have the same intentions but only seek after things that causes confusion in our lives. My friends, we need to wake up and smell the coffee because our lives are jacked up. Just as Psalms 82:5, we are all off course and need to go back to the drawing board. We need to stop with our business and pride to confess we are in trouble. You want to know why just about every aspect of American society is jacked up is from continuing with a chaotic priority list. It's time we make adjustments. We need to begin confessing where we've fallen and learn to put God first (Matthew 6:33). When God is the head and the foundation of our lives, we won't be invincible from the troubles of life. However, He promises us when our lives are built on the Rock (Jesus Christ), no matter what comes, we will stand firm (Matthew 7:24-25). The Rock keeps us balanced and teaches us how to balance every area of our lives (when we learn to trust, obey, and apply what He teaches us). Right now, my friends, I'm in a place where major adjustments need to be made. This week, I'll be taking time to set balance in every area of my life, marriage, family, and most importantly, my relationship with God. A messed up balance only breeds trouble and ruin but a good one makes life enjoyable (Proverbs 11:1). Before I close this out, I'd like for us this week and for the rest of our lives quote these words in our prayers before God. He tells us when we ask a thing out of a sincere heart He will give it to us (Matthew 7:7). This needs to be our prayer as a people who God desires to bless:

Job 31:6:

"Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity."

Let these words marinate and give us rest as well as peace for our weary and confused souls. dgwo.

No comments:

Post a Comment