Thursday, July 5, 2012

...Before You Burn Out

Rest is something we don't like to use in the American working class society. We feel like we have to be everywhere all the time every time. But one day, this train of thought and habit is going to wear us down in the end. The totality of our lives will directly be affected from all the stuff we put ourselves through, from others' expectations of us, and what we allow to suck us dry in our lives. Man, I know what I'm talking about. Within the past 6 years of my life, I've had points when I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. Why? I was doing too much and handled too many responsibilities; mostly the weight of responsibilities in my life. There are millions of Americans suffering from mental breakdowns because they kept going when their gas tank was on E. As I stated in my previous blog, we rely on our selfish ambition, pride, and willpower to overcome the necessities of rest. So when we've burned ourselves out, we are the ones who pay the consequences for our actions. It sucks but that's what happens every time. I'm learning right in the various catch 22's in my life that I've got to take a bubble and chill. Every great man and woman most know their limits. When we've reached our limit, we need to find ourselves resting and getting recharged. Otherwise, we might as well prepare for the burn out. Married couples who need to take time away refuse vacation time with each other and are on the fastest train to divorce court. Business people realize their need for a getaway continue on and find themselves yelling at others at work. Pastors knowing they need to take a short time for a sabbatical to get spiritually renewed continue on and smite the rock as Moses did. College students know they need to take an hour from the books then grab some pizza but continue on to flunk their mid-terms. These different scenarios show the price we pay for continuing on without resting ourselves. Taking time out for yourself, family, friends, and loved ones ain't a sin. Just let others know when and then move on out. Even the Lord Jesus took time to get away to get renewed (Mark 1:35). Even though He had all power to heal, saved, and deliver demons out of people, the effects of His responsibilities probably got to Him. To avoid burning out, He went to a solitary, quiet, peaceful, and relaxing place to pray (talk with God). In our place of rest, we can lay our burdens down and allow the Father to lavish us with the gifts of rest to help us make it through. My friends, when you feel overwhelmed, take a rest. You don't always have to have money to do it. Write in your journal, talk with a close friend, take yourself out to eat, take a walk in your neighborhood park, or drive around town in your ride. God doesn't want us to burn out. He wants us to live peaceful lives pleasing to Him. Understand?
Til Next Time, dgwo

Reference:

Matthew 11:28-30:
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 
 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
Mark 1:35

No comments:

Post a Comment