Thursday, May 8, 2014

Breaking Away From Emotionally Abusive Relationships

I'm seeing emotionally abusive relationships more common than ever before. Growing up in the 80s, it was more secretive behind closed doors, you know? I think after the crack game in '88 hit, that's when things started to unravel in front of my eyes. Fast forward to the '90s, people are becoming more outspoken on home they feel and what they do to people. Hip hop at the time was very revolutionary and cutting, which I believe opened a lot of doors to the phrase, "freedom of expression." Fast forward to present day America, emotional abuse is peaking at an all time high in just about every facet of life. Emotional abuse is done right in front of our faces but through deception isn't seen "recognizable." So my question is, what is emotional abuse?

"Emotional abuse is any kind of abuse that is emotional rather than physical in nature. It can include anything from verbal abuse and constant criticism to more subtle tactics, such as intimidation, manipulation, and refusal to ever be pleased." -

As I was driving down I35 from Wac(k)o Texas, I began to do some retrospection of my life and wow, some of things I've experienced were pretty mentally scarring. I remember Ms. Radford, my 4th grade English teacher used to criticize me a lot. She had something against us "colored" kids because most of us if not all of us were gifted. She didn't like that and through isolated and small incidents, she tried to mentally pick up apart. I remember one time she up and said to me, "You'll never amount to nothing." Wow, didn't that hurt and then created an emotion I'm still dealing with everyday called rage. I was already emotionally abused from kids in the 2nd and 3rd grade from being called a punk, a weirdo, small, and extremely skinny. So this comment only reinforced what I was originally told by some obnoxious kids. As the years go on, different "sociopath" people in my life would say certain things to help bring my self-esteem lower and lower (mostly because I had no emotional backbone). But things began to change when I was 32 and some months old. I got tired of allowing emotionally abusive relationships in my life. I began fighting back and through much knowledge I acquired from school, current job, my wife, and my "real" friends, the break-off began. I began to speak up for myself and walk with my head up high. I began to voice my opinions and cared less what other people were thinking. I began to see people for who they really are, weak, pathetic, unhappy, miserable, jealous, envious, and with low self-esteem. I refused to go to their party was somberly invited to. Ha. All the criticism that were shot at me out of their fear of my greatness rather than helping me to become a better man; cancelled. Each time I allowed blind people to lead me blindly into a ditch; overturned. Each word of hatred spewed from their mouth to destroy my mental capacity to do what's right for me and my family; shut down. I learned the best way to break away from emotionally abusive relationships is to stand on my two feet in full confidence in who, who, how, and why I am David G.W. Overton. I'm no joke and will not be someone else's emotional punch bag. Neither should you. Don't take some one's emotional abuse any longer. Fight back with your positive attitude, with your experiences, and with your knowledge of how life really works. When those people try to subtly bring you down, pipe bomb them with the quickness and without regret. My friends, you are somebody and these n----- that are trying to emotionally abuse you ain't worth the poop from the dirtiest pig on earth. Don't let your emotional attachments to people bring you down in their slop, too. Now is not the time to stick with emotionally abusive relationships, it's time to shred them up completely. I don't care if it's your siblings, your uncle, your aunt, your supervisor, your priest, your pastor, or the President of the United States! Ya heard?!

Til next time, Emotionally Abuser Free Overton.....

Reference:

http://www.counselingcenter.illinois.edu/self-help-brochures/relationship-problems/emotional-abuse/

http://www.ehow.com/how_2379720_overcome-emotional-abuse.html

No comments:

Post a Comment