Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Transitional Period...

One of my favorite movies of all time is Pulp Fiction and with one of the best actors of all time, Samuel Jackson. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the last scene during the stick up at the diner (you know, tell that b---- to be cool!). Samuel had the opportunity to blast the male robber away without question but he said something that was real, "I'm in a transitional period right now..." I can relate to that right now. The shorthand dictionary version of the word transition is goin from one place and/or time to another. If we look around, things are changing, just about everything. Technology, music, even politics are showing various signs of change. It's crazy but it's true. I believe there are many of us who are going through a transitional period in our lives. Should we leave this job that pays real good for another job that's like flying into the Bermuda Triangle (my old school cars dig my allegory)? Should I cut my hair and face some scrutiny from my friends and family? Should I move to a different country although I have no clue on how to speak Bulgarian? Should I dead some relationships I know that will stunt my personal/professional/spiritual growth? These and so many other questions we are asking ourselves right now as I write this blog. Transitions are probably the hardest times in our lives because we sense something more and better (or worse) in life but we can't see the next step in front of us. Some of us believe that prayer and self help books will show you all things. I beg to differ. I believe that sometimes, our eyes are open wide shut. We see but don't see, hear but don't hear (you get what I'm saying). People we used to rely on for the answers we need  will tell you, "I can't do nothing for you, man." So what do we do in times of transition? Some people say wait. I say keep. Walking forward, side to side, backwards if you feel like it. What I'm saying is no matter the direction you take, life continues to go forward with or without us. I believe that's the way God designed it to be for mankind. Times of transitions calls us back to the drawing board of introspection, retrospection, and enlightenment. We shouldn't get fearful but hopeful that maybe the changes we've been waiting for are coming. I don't know. I'm not Aristotle, Plato, or Paul. I'm just a man in a transitional period trying to find out who he is (and not what others have said or say I am), where I'm going, and asking for a Tall White Mocha and Banana Nut Bread at the counter. During our time of transition, all I can say is to "be cool", enjoy the stroll, and trust God along the way, my friends.

Til next time....

1 comment:

  1. Good message David and good timing for me. I am presently at that very place. I've been a bit overwhelmed by all the changes and challenges taking place in my life and all at the same time. I am trusting God to guide me so I can make the proper choices and take the best steps at the right times. Perhaps I'll have a one-on-one talk with you. Keep up the good work David. Much love!

    ReplyDelete