Tuesday, August 7, 2012

To The Veterans: You Are Not Forgotten!

I've been wanting to write a post about this matter for a long time now. This is a sticky subject but someone has to stand up and say something. This one is dedicated to my brothers and sisters who've served time in the Armed Forces. Whether you did 30 years, 15 years, or 5, you served your country. Whether you retired, were discharged for medical reasons, regularly ETS'd, or put out on a dishonorable discharge, you served your country! I myself have been out the Army for almost 9 years now and I'm grateful for all I experienced. From the 12 plus hour days of working in a post office in Germany, to getting my behind burnt in the Middle East, I'm grateful. I wasn't the best soldier and yes I caused a lot of problems, but I did serve my country for 4 and a half years. My wife did 5 years in the Army and did a way better job of being a soldier than I did. Many of my friends are military vets and served their country faithful for whatever time they did. However, I see something a lot of people don't want to touch. A lot of times, especially within the Central Texas area (except for Memorial Day/Labor Day), veterans no longer in the military are forgotten. What do you mean they are forgotten, David? Listen here sonny boy and fair lady. I see more veterans coming out the military having more mental trauma than every before from all the deployments they've had to go on. Now, I'm not talking about vets from other eras (Nam, Desert Storm: they're forgotten, too), I'm talking about the young heads from 22-26 coming out the military. Some of them have had to go on 2-5 (maybe 6) deployments within their military careers. From the years 2003-2010, some vets had to go on two or more deployments within a 1 and a half to 3 year time span. They've had to leave their families to take the brunt of raising their kids. At times, I've seen the military make both parents of children get deployed and saw families disintegrate like flames to paper. I'm seeing more people battle with addictions like drugs, alcohol, and sex because of the trauma they experienced in the military or sometimes intensifying underlying problems before entering into the military. I see more vets coming out these days not being given the full 180 day ACAP process because superiors staying in the military consider them as traitors to wars without cause (you know what I'm talking about). Even the ACAP process doesn't fully prepare you for what's to come (especially in the biggest military post in the world -hint, hint). I'm seeing veterans who've fought with the VA to get their pension for years and still get denied. They have legitimate reasons and documentation to be compensated but it doesn't happen. I see much more than I can comment about but I will say this with encouraging words. You are not forgotten. There are various avenues of opportunities to help you make it through this thing most vets called "the outside world." You have been given benefits such as Post 9/11 GI-Bill, which pays for your educational costs plus gives you BAH. If you need assistance in getting your compensation and pension process, organizations like DAV and American Legion will help you in this feat. Most importantly, there are every day people who haven't taken your labors in vain. They remember your sacrifices and are raising cane in Washington D.C. on your behalf to help life outside of the military better. If this sounds like a rant, well it is. Not just a personal rant but a rant for the men and women who had to sacrifice a lot to everything for America. It's time America gives honor where it's due. I'm not saying the world should revolve around vets. I'm not saying baby us vets to make our lives easier. At least give the vets respect. To the military personnel in the Armed services, if you know soldiers are getting out, support them. Don't treat them like traitors. They made the decision to get out so it's your obligation to make sure their ACAP process is smooth, comfortable (if that's possible), and helpful for them. Getting out the military is not an easy process and the future is definitely uncertain. As the economic woes continue to occur, veterans and those contemplating leaving the military are faced with hard decisions. Job market. Bills. The whole nine yards. America, especially those in high level positions in the military and political realms; even the average American, be considerate about us vets. Let's not treat veterans as scrap metal, used up, then beat up, and then thrown away. Most importantly, when you feel no one understand your frustration, the agony of remembering the deaths of fellow soldiers, the addictions, and the hardships of making it out here in the outside world, remember God hasn't forgotten you. David said it best when he said how God was mindful of him. We just got to know the same God who makes sure to feed the animals will much more make sure we eat and have a place to stay. I know it's hard, especially in times of foreclosure, eviction, and homelessness (I've been near homeless myself when I first got out in 2003). But trust God. He hasn't forgotten us. Well, that's all I've got to say about that. I hope these words help you along this arduous road of life. To the veterans, you are not forgotten!

Reference:

Psalms 8:4
Matthew 6:25-26
www.va.gov (Main VA website)
www.dav.org (DAV website)
www.legion.org (American Legion website)
www.ecfr.gpoacess.gov (federal entitlements for veterans-Title 38)
www.gibill.va.gov (GI Bill)
www.military.com (vast info on veteran benefits such as job leads, etc.)

1 comment:

  1. David my friend this was necessary and very eloquently spoken!!! Venus

    ReplyDelete