Monday, August 7, 2017

Emotionally Detached People

We all go through things in life that make us stronger, better, and wiser. We also can go through things that make us colder, bitter, and apathetic. Some of us become more kinder and compassionate in certain subjects while others don't give much "grace." I believe we live in a very apathetic and emotionally detached society. Just look at the latest news happening from popular musical artists to us everyday "common folk." Emotional detachment has become a regular deal in American society but many of us are too goddamn blind to see it. Emotional detachment can spring from mentally traumatic events in our lives such as rape, abuse, failed relationships, and financial problems. The larger the amount of these events, the more detached we can become. Emotional detachment can also stem from the environment(s) we're around. The healthier the environment, the mentally healthier the person. And "if this is not so, ahhh, god bless...(Jay-Z's Friend or Foe). I know I see it and can say that I'm one of those emotionally detached people. Most of my "issues" have been mental, which began from the ages of 6/7. I can say over the past 15 years of my life, I've become more apathetic and emotionally detached. I didn't recognize how bad I've become until this past weekend. My wife told me that my body is here but my mind is somewhere else. Shit, that cut deep but the process of illumination began. I began to see how I've built this wall around me to keep everyone out. I realized how I've arrested emotions to feel but became a person of stone. I've become the very thing a close of friend of mine 3 years ago warned me not to be. In layman's terms, I became an "unlikable asshole." The great thing about this is that I know I'm not the only one. I reckon that if a person gets to the point when they don't call their friends or family on a regular basis, that's a positive sign. If a person can be married to someone yet shows no affection to their spouse, that's a positive sign. If a person allows certain beliefs and/or religious/political/cultural views to repress their actual essence, that's a positive sign. I believe the best solution is for a "day one ish" person to call us out on our shit. As the first step of the scientific method, to reach a solution, we must first identify the problem. I think each person goes through this and our person is determined by how we handle emotional detachments; that is, from ourselves, our family/friends, and the world around us. Hell, what do I know?


Til Next Time....

No comments:

Post a Comment