Thursday, July 10, 2014

Never Explain Yourself To No One

I'm tired of explaining myself, my beliefs, my opinions, and my ways to other people. I came to this realization a couple of days ago, just driving home from work in a congested Southbound I-35 traffic. I realized something about myself, about my life, that I've always tried to explain myself to other people. Whether it's been my hopes, career aspirations, literary works, the whole nine yards, n----s always got to come off at the mouth (or as pimps say, "out the pocket"). Most of the time, many of these things I've mentioned, I allowed others to derail these things. But no more. David G.W. Overton will not be explaining himself to people anymore. Why should I? Are men my god? Are they the sole controller of my destiny? Real talk. Why do we reduce ourselves to explaining about ourselves to a bunch of knuckleheads (especially to those who claim they know us well)? It's ridiculous or as Mike Tyson use to say, "ludicrous." At my job, I've learned within my 1 year and 10 month tenure there that you must have confidence when you work cases. You have to know that all your experience, the gut feeling (instincts), and all your training is the basis of why you handle different cases. One of mentors told me, "you've got to stop doubting yourself and work that case with confidence." She is right and that's how I roll in life now. Recently, I posted some comments on Facebook and people, always got something to say about it, in some twisted way, trying to correct me. Of course, I went on a tangent as to why I said what I said. However, that was the wrong approach and one I regret. So now, I don't need to explain myself to people. All I have to say is, read my blogs and then you figure it out. I swear that I'm not going to be explaining myself to nobody else. If people can't look at your life or body of work (failures/accomplishments) to make a determination of why (of decipher), then those n----s just won't get ("If you don't know me by now..."). It seems like the people I saw growing up in my childhood compared to the people now, the people now suck at just having the mental fortitude called "understanding." That's what it is, a lack of understanding. We live in a culture that wants to know everybody about the next man, busybodies (thanks to social media). However, I'm not going to abide by those rules. So the next time people ask me why I cut my hair, why I screwed up, how I got the BMW, why I hate church more than a raging atheist, or why I'm pissed at the Knicks right now, I'm not giving people not one d--- explanation. Just my opinion, I hope you do the same.

Til next time, Mr. I'm Not Explaining Myself to Nobody Overton.....

P.S. - Thank you Mrs. Diane Williams for our conversation....

1 comment:

  1. So sad David! Never imagined you could label my family as niggas!

    ReplyDelete