Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Employ The Mind

As some of you have read my posts over the past few months, I've been going through a very hard struggle mentally. After spending years and years in a system of heretical religiosity I now call "Alcatraz", I've been seeking help. Right now, I won't call myself a Christian yet I'm not an atheist or an agnostic. I think I'm walking a new path of enlightenment where there's more to life than right and wrong. As a good friend of mine has shared with me and resonates in me is the "grey area." Of course, I could do the whole "religious thing" like "pray and fast", join another church, and have a preacher man or woman call me up to the altar, pour oil on my head, speak in unknown languages, and lay hands on me until "demons come out" through coughing up (which is another false working of the Holy Spirit and to build a preacher's ego). Anyway, I've been reading a lot and researching just different topics about this thing called life. One thing I remember hearing from this substitute teacher in my 8th grade science class dropped a jewel to us young black boys soon to be young men, "read." Dictionaries, books, studies. 16 years later, I'm a testament that he is still right. I just finished reading Jay-z's Decoded and now reading Ja-Rule's Unruly. Wow, I can relate to them in various ways minus the drug dealing, rap industry, and wealth. But reading is helping me employ as well as strengthen my mental and emotional fragility. It's employing my mind. Slowly working on music and working to build back up my skills on the keys and bass is employing my mind. Talking with different types of people even strangers who could be a serial killer (but aren't) is helping me employing my mind. Hell, writing these blogs to blow off steam and say things that might piss a few people off is employing the mind. An old saying states, "an idle mind is the devil's workshop." Well, I'd like to rephrase that, "an idle mind is the workshop for the devil in you to f--- up your own life" (I.e. - various sports stars....). Employing the mind doesn't require something big or major, just simple things this life provides us. Employing the mind is something I'm working on everyday to get myself out of the abyss rather than jive myself in using repressive tactics handed down down by Azuza Street. I'm going to use a God given gift of the wisdom here on earth and His love to get my mind back in order. Well, that's my tangent, my friends.

Til next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment