Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Blessing of Outsiders

My wife and I just got finished with a conversation a few minutes. She was telling me certain things Momma Rachel (my mom-in-law) was sharing about life. Then I told her my dad (Daddy Overton) was sharing with me things that I tried to shun but now find true. Just a couple of weeks ago when I was getting my car serviced, an older white man said these powerful words, "not everybody gets an opportunity to be successful but when you do, you better take it." Most of my adult life has been impacted by people who I've regarded as outsiders, people that aren't in my weekly schedule. These people somehow are linked very close to me. We talk about stupid stuff and then the conversation changes. Now they're telling me this and that and what I need to do. No matter how hurtful it feels, on the end it's worth taking it in. A man by the name of Moses had to sit an listen to an outsider, who was his own father in law about how to pastor Israel. He saw how Moses was getting wore out so he learned the powerful tool of delegation. When Moses applied it, his life ran much smoother (it took him a while though). Balaam had to listen to a donkey and he stopped his crusade to curse a bunch of good people. An outsider by the name of William Mayo came to my office and instructed into the music theory applying musician that I am today. A wise talking builder by the name of Bob my pastors church for them out of the kindness of his hear. What are you saying David? God doesn't want us stuck in our little prisms of ordinary life. He wants us to be free and part of that freedom is not closing our ears from wisdom, sound wisdom wherever whenever and however it comes. Wisdom can come from anywhere and anyone. Even Jesus taught the disciples such words found in Luke 16:9. Paul stated in Hebrews 13:2 that we should treat with outsiders with the upmost respect even the rudest ones because they could be your blessing you've been waiting on. Trust. Don't be so holier than thou or so obnoxious in character that you shun outsiders. Keep your eyes open. Keep your ears open. God will bless u through outsiders so don't be quick to judge in outside appearance, look at the root of things. You'll see it. It'll bless our businesses, families, the whole nine yards.

Til next time, dgwo

No comments:

Post a Comment